Foods that boost your immune system naturally are not only important in these pandemic times. They will always improve your health status. Take for instance yellow foods.
They’re sunny, glowing, and radiant, contain dietary fibers, and amino acids. Yellow foods are good for your skin. And, by the way, you can make delicious dishes with it.
Our series about food with color consists of 6 articles: red, orange, yellow, white, green, and blue/purple. These articles also contain a lot of tips and recipes. Many of these other colored foods are foods that boost your immune system naturally as well.
Some of the links are affiliate links. As an affiliate associate, we earn a commission when you purchase any of the products offered through the shared links at no extra cost for you. This helps us maintain this website.
Table of contents
- 1 Yellow food is sunny, glowing, and radiant
- 2 Non-digestible dietary fibers
- 3 Mind the amino acids
- 4 The best skincare
- 5 Curcumin is part of the superfoods
- 6 Some recipes of foods that boost your immune system naturally
Yellow food is sunny, glowing, and radiant
Yellow fruits and vegetables contain phytochemicals, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that can combat severe illnesses and heart issues.
One of the phytochemicals in yellow fruits and vegetables is called bioflavonoid. This is sometimes referred to as Vitamin P. This element is especially helpful for the skin to replenish itself.
Yellow food has two big benefits: it’s a mood booster and it’s very beneficial for your skin. Like its color, it’s sunny, glowing, and radiant.
Non-digestible dietary fibers
People sometimes ask us how serious all the health claims about food are. In general, a diet high in fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, and plant-based beverages have long-term benefits. There is unanimous scientific consent about this claim.
There is also very strong scientific evidence that some of the plant fibers, which you eat but do not digest (the so-called non-digestible dietary fibers), reduce the risk of some types of cancer and coronary heart disease. These fibers are often used to produce medicines.
The problem though is that some commercial companies try to monopolize certain health claims connected with one or two food compounds. Often using obscuring language. Moreover, most of these claims have no scientific base whatsoever. So it’s a confusing world out there and we have to make up our own minds as well.
Mind the amino acids
Vitamin A and C fall in the same category as dietary plant fibers. These vitamins also have established health benefits against cancer. Yellow fruits contain lots of both types of vitamins. Types of foods that boost your immune system naturally.
Our body also needs amino acids. Amino acids are the building blocks of body tissue and a source of energy. The body needs all the 21 known types of amino acids. Of these, 9 must be obtained from food. The body cannot synthesize them from other compounds.
Yellow fruits and vegetables all contain amino acids. To be sure that we get enough of the 9 types mentioned, it’s important to eat as great a variety of plant-based foods as possible. For us, this is specifically important because we only eat a very limited amount of meat (only a little bit of turkey, chicken, or fish, with a maximum of 150 grams a week).
The best skincare
When it comes to building tissue and amino acids, a good example is Calendula. I have several tubes of Calendula ointment which I use on scars or dark spots on my skin. The reason I have several tubes is I lend them often to people to try them. Which happens when you are enthusiastic about something, doesn’t it? 🙂
Calendula, also known as Marigolds, and other yellow food have a lot of retinol, a type of Vitamin A1 that has a constructive effect on acne and wrinkles in order to reverse the damage.
You don’t have to buy expensive anti-aging products, but instead are better off spending this money on organic yellow produce or grow some in your kitchen garden.
- Yellow pepper – fibre, proteins and iron
- Bell pepper – vitamin C
- Yellow beans
- Yellow potatoes
- Curcumin / Turmeric
- Dandelion – weight control, fights anemia, indigestion, and flatulence
- Marigold / Calendula
As you can see it’s sometimes hard to define whether yellow food is really yellow, it can also be white on the inside (banana), or orange (pumpkin). That’s why you will find some of the foods cited here also in one of the other colored food articles.
Curcumin is part of the superfoods
Like saffron, curcumin gives a yellow color to your food. I always think it’s looking festive, whenever Tom adds curcumin to the food. We both love the spice so he does add it often.
Like other yellow food, curcumin is a strong antioxidant and has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal properties. An excellent example of foods that boost your immune system naturally.
Curcumin or turmeric has one downside. The body doesn’t absorb it very easily. Research has shown that you can enhance absorbability by combining it with black pepper and/or fat*.
The latter is because turmeric is fat-soluble. Combine it with fat, green tea, black pepper, or omega 3 fatty acids (which is in fish and shellfish).
In Indian culture, turmeric and black pepper are commonly consumed in tea, often combined with olive oil, coconut oil, honey and ginger.
* Golden Mellow of YourSuper contains 6 superfoods. Two of them are Curcuma and Pepper. The others are Ashwagandha, Ginger, Cinnamon, and Lucuma. All organic certified.
Some recipes of foods that boost your immune system naturally
Turkey (Chicken) with Mango
Ingredients (of course all organic):
- Buy as much chicken or turkey filet as required for the number of persons that will join the lunch or dinner (e.g. 150 grams per person);
- Fresh ginger (to taste);
- Curry powder or Golden Mellow (to taste);
- Olive oil (to taste);
- Ripe mango. For 4 persons one will do;
- Fresh coriander (to taste);
- Grained dry coconut (to taste).
- Cut the fillets into bite-sized chunks;
- Roast the chunks in the olive oil until they are nicely brown;
- Add some water and mix the roasted chunks with the ginger and spices;
- Let the chunks cook for at least half an hour until they are really soft. See to it that the chunks don’t burn;
- In the meantime cut the mango(s) into pieces (as big as the filet chunks), and cut the fresh koriander but not too small;
- Add the mango chunks, the cut koriander, and grained coconut during the last couple of minutes and raise the temperature. See to it that the mango does not fall apart.
TIP 1: Turkey with Mango tastes wonderful with a puree of sweet potatoes and parsnip (2/3 sweet potatoes, 1/3 parsnip).
TIP 2: Never ever add salt or pepper. This will ruin the flavor of any fine dish.
Langostinos al limón (king prawns with lemon)
Preferably organic, although that is difficult for the prawns.
- 4 big fresh prawns (in their shells) per person;
- 2 small lemons (or 1 big one);
- Fresh ginger (to taste, but don’t be shy);
- Curcuma powder or Golden Mellow;
- Olive oil (use an amount that covers the bottom of the pan, don’t be shy on this either and use the best oil you can buy).
- Use a large pan;
- Heat the olive oil, but pay attention, don’t burn the oil;
- Put the prawns in the pan and fry them on both sides for about 15 minutes on a not too high fire;
- In the meantime squeeze one lemon and grate the outside peel of this lemon;
- Add the lemon juice and grated lemon peel over the prawns at the end of the 15 minutes;
- Cut the other lemon into slices of 1/2 a centimeter and mix the slices with the prawns;
- Add the grated ginger and the spices;
- Cover the prawns and let them simmer for another 5 minutes on a low fire. Done.
Enjoy your meal and stay healthy!
What is your favorite yellow food? Tell us in the comment box below.
- Eating a Rainbow of Food Will do a Lot of Good
- Red Food and the Health Benefits of Antioxidants
- Orange food is Good and Healthy Food
- Yellow Foods that Boost your Immune System Naturally
- How to Improve your Diet – and Health – with White Fruits and Vegetables
- Green Fruits and Vegetables Health Benefits – the Essentials
- Healthy Food Dishes with Blue and Purple Fruits and Vegetables